Position Title: Material Handler
Work location: All locations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to read and understand Chapel Steel work orders and fill out correctly
- Loading and unloading of trucks in warehouse using overhead crane
- Effectively use all tools associated with performing duties including reading tape measures, calipers, etc.
- Operate overhead and wall cranes utilizing remote controls in a safe and efficient manner.
- To read and understand all paperwork including Mill Bills of Lading and Chapel Steel work orders
- Load and unload incoming trucks using chains, plate hooks and magnets
- Inspect and color code all incoming loads for inventory accuracy
- Pick and package orders as necessary
- Operation of all equipment needed in workstation such as overhead and wall cranes, hand torches, electro magnets, etc.
- Work safely and adhere to safety rules and procedures at all times.
- Miscellaneous duties as necessary
Reports to: Plant Manager
Reports Indirectly to: Foreman & Branch Manager
Direct Reports: None
Education Level Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
Position Requirements: Computer literate, ability to stand/walk 90% of work shift, ability to lift up to 30 lbs. when required, ability to function in adverse climate conditions (heat, cold). Transports material, parts or equipment as directed. Must use considerable skill and care in picking up, moving and accurately positioning loads to avoid excessive swinging of bulky, large or irregular shaped loads and to detect faulty slinging and slipping loads.
Desired Minimum Requirements: Minimum of one-year warehouse experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to tactfully deal with customers, internal Sales Representatives, coworkers & vendors as necessary. Must be able to read blueprints or drawings. Pr
Physical Demands: Ability to stand/walk on concrete surface 90%+ of work shift in adverse climate conditions. Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. as necessary. Bending and stooping required apx. 50% of work day. Ability to step up (ascend) and down (descend) steps (on burning table).
Special Requirements: Must wear proper protective gear including steel tip boots, metatarsals recommended, proper safety glasses or welding shield depending on duty performed.
Tools and Equipment Used: Tape measures, micrometer, hand grinder, remote operated overhead cranes, forklifts.